Saturday, January 07, 2006

Back in Waco

One of the things I like best about going home to Michigan is that there are actually stars. There are none to speak of in Waco. It's pathetic. When I'm home, I love to look at the stars in awe. They've always amazed me for some unexplained reason.

On the way home today, I just knew something would go wrong. I just knew it. I did that thing again where I did not sleep the night before I was to leave. I always think that this is a good idea, but it never is. I arrived in Dallas at 9:46, went over to the grandparents' new house for lunch, and left for Waco at about 3pm. All was fine until I was just outside of West, Texas, which is about 15-20 miles outside of Waco. My front left tire blew out. I was so close to home. Or, my Texas "home" that is.

I pulled over and within about five minutes two cars stopped to help me. The tire stores in West were all closed since it was a Saturday and I didn't want to have to get my car towed. Seth, one of the people who stopped to help, jacked up my car and took off the old tire. We couldn't get the spare off the back of my car because we needed some key that I did not have. So we decided that it would be best if I brought in the old tire to a tire store in Waco, get a new tire, and then come back out to my car later and put it on. Or actually, get someone to come out with me and put it on for me since I can't do that. I rode into Waco with Seth, who was headed that way anyways. Yes, I rode in a truck with a guy I did not know. But he seemed nice enough, I had my cell phone, and you can't be the daughter of a Green Beret without picking up a few things, so I wasn't too worried. He turned out to be really nice and he and his wife are actually friends with some people who work at the place I do my internship at and he was supposed to be meeting them all for dinner but called to say he was going to be late. I'm so glad that he wasn't some crazy psycho person who tried to kill me.

After many more ordeals, I finally get my tire and at about 8:30pm I head out to put it on with four of my friends. Why it took all of us, I'm not sure, but it did. Four of us watched and shown lights as Fernando actually put it on my car. And as I stood there with all of them, I realized that you could see the stars out there almost as well as you can in da U.P. And I also realized that I was with some of my true friends. Friends who would put off whatever they were doing to help me lug around this tire and fix my car.

Here's to friends and stars.

1 comment:

Golda said...

I've never had to take the monorail at the Dallas airport before, but if I ever do, I'll try that even though I will probably fall. I tried something similar on the metro in DC before and fell on a very unhappy man with a bike.